Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's all about perspective.



Two of the Inpatient Wards
This weekend I did my share of complaining and whining.  We went about 70 hours without power because the power company had no fuel for their diesel generators.  We live in a part of Tanzania that is completely dependent on the diesel generators as we are not part of the national power grid.  Our food in the freezer thawed as well as the fridge/freezer, but didn't spoil.  The weather was hot.  I complained. 

Of course, there were those reminders from God, like when I remembered the passage in the book of Philippians about being thankful in all situations; and Jesus' words about how he has given us his peace, and his joy…but still, some of us like to complain, and whine a bit too.

But we had food, we had water, we had a great house to live in with a beach, our daughter Kelly is still with us (she's on summer break), we are healthy, we have the Word of God, we've known and experience daily his saving Grace…as I said, It's about perspective.

"Serving Kigoma in the name of Jesus Christ"
Then today, I was really reminded of how good I really have it.  It doesn't at all sound fair, but this is what I experienced today at the hospital.  After our morning worship time and our clinical meeting, I went to do rounds on the ward.  We only have 6 patients on the ward (we can handle about 36 right now).    I carefully reviewed each patient (3 adults and 3 kids) and discussed what was next in their treatment.  A lady with a stroke that showed all the signs of impending death; infant recovering from malaria and dehydration; lady with acute pneumonia on a chronic one; a child with severe diarrhea and dehydration; elderly lady with a huge poorly working heart; a youth with cerebral malaria.  Each suffering the consequences of serious illnesses – and I was whining about no power…God forgive me for my pettiness.

After ward rounds I went to OPD (Out Patient Department).  What really shook me, brought me back to 'reality' was the 9 year old boy who was struggling to breath because of his heart disease.  He likely has rheumatic heart disease, a consequence of an infection that then turned into a autoimmune disease (were his body mistakenly attacks itself – in his case, his heart).  His mom shared his history of having gotten worse over the past months, but especially in the past few days.  I carefully listened and then examined him.  He was breathing faster than normal, and had a distended belly.  His heart was very big, noisy from a valve dysfunction, and his liver and spleen were enlarged from back pressure from his heart.  He has a 'shida ya moyo' - a problem of the heart that leads to lung, liver, spleen, kidney and other problems.  I finished my exam and explained to the mom that we needed to admit him to the ward.  When he heard it, he tried to hide the tears that came…and to think that last night I was whining that 'it's hot, I can't sleep good.'

I thank God that we have medications to help this acute problem, although he is likely past the stage where heart valve surgery would help him.  After OPD I went to check on him before heading home.  Got an oxygen concentrator for him (a machine that scrubs oxygen from the air to help him) and made sure he had gotten his first meds.  He was a little bit better, and was smiling this time when I saw him.  He and his mom had already been visited by Pastor Jack, our hospital chaplain.

I drove home in my air conditioned truck to our home on the lake, with electricity, and food, and water, and Sally and Kelly.  My heart is working fine physically, but it hurts a bit for this little boy.  I prayed for him tonight and will see him again in the morning early.   And to think I was whining about 'stuff.'

Take a moment to thank God for all you have, and for what He has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment