Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tunaendelea kujifunza Kiswahili

Nope, nothing to do with eating tuna, but means "We are continuing to learn Kiswahili."

Another week of language study.  Class from 8:30-1:30 then putting it into practice.  Sally and I are finding that most days we are doing reasonably well with our teacher, but then when we go to town, it all changes.  He knows us, and he knows what speed and types of words to use when we converse in Swahili.  But in town, the whole game changes.  Words that seem to float of the tongue (OK, maybe not float, but roll) seem to be stuck in my head.  The good thing is that Tanzanians are very patient and kind, and there are a fair number of Wazungu (Caucasians) living here and people are used to our attempts at speaking Kiswahili.  Even so, when we converse, there are different accents, different speeds (haraka haraka – very fast), and lots of new vocabulary.  But that is good too, as we realize that we don’t know that word, write it down, look it up when we get home, and then begin to use it.  Boy, this is hard work.  You wouldn’t think that language and cultural learning would be tiring but it is both mentally and physically exhausting.  (please don’t take that as whining, just sharing what’s happening).

It has been exciting to realize that my brain is beginning to translate things without thinking about it exclusively.  Albeit little things, but at least there is hope.   Even as I have been typing this I have been dual tasking, thinking how I would write it in Kiswahili.

Found it interesting that there is now software for your iPhone camera to take a live pic of a sign and it will on-the-spot recognize the language and translate it.  Don’t think they have an audio version of that…

We’ve been trying two different internet service providers – one expensive and at times quite fast (VodoCom), one cheaper but slow (airTel).  Both are quite good at dropping the connection.  Skyping with our family then becomes an exercise of connecting, dropping, connecting again, dropping, etc. 

Trying to pray… I desperately want to pray in Kiswahili, and I find myself saying things like, “Mungu, ninakuomba unanisikia.” (God, I ask you, that you hear me.)  And “Baba, unasamahe dhambi zangu zote.” (Father, you forgive all my sins.)  I feel like a child, but then again, didn’t Jesus say that we need to come to him with the simple faith of a child.   I am really enjoying reading through the Psalms every morning in both English and Kiswahili and finding phrases and sentences that help me to express my prayers better.  We have three versions of Kiswahili Bibles; one that follows like the NIV, one like the NASB, and a Good News NT/Psalms/Proverbs.  We’ve been using all three to learn various words and phrases.

portion of Romans 3
Finally, I was directed to a great article on how our own worldview and culture affects the way we read the Bible and how we interpret it. That has an impact on how we share the Good News of Jesus Christ. Even if you are not living in a foreign land, it is applicable.  I encourage you to download it and let me know what you think.  (http://www.neednotfret.com/content/view/213/30/)

Please keep praying for our language and culture learning.  Also pray for safety on the roads.  It is a challenge to drive here and we are thankful every time we go/come safely.

We are thankful to our Lord for the daily grace he has been showing us.  Praise Him!

1 comment:

  1. Mnaendelea vizuri sana. Mwenyezi Mungu awabariki sana. Mukitulia, mutafidika sana, na lugha haitakuwa ngumu sana. Endeleeni nakutumia kile mtakachofundishwa, na mambo yatakuwa raisi.
    Please correct me where i may have erred. I do not remember much, but then in addition, that to say that I am really inspired by your dedicated application to the language, as I believe this will be your first step in understanding better the people that you will minister to. And I believe with a worthy goal and the fantastic pair of brains such as you have been blessed with, while the journey may not be easy, you are assured of victory, for you CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH HIM WHO GIVES YOU STRENGTH, even for this. I continue to learn from you. God be with you, our God who indeed watches over your coming in and going out.
    G.L.

    ReplyDelete